AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Ramblin' Red® Rose is a popular variety of climbing rose, admired for its stunning and fragrant flowers and vigorous growth habit. This rose variety exhibits unique attributes that make it an ideal choice for gardens across a broad range of climates and settings.
Known scientifically as Rose 'RADramblin', this rose produces a profusion of semi-double to double flowers that are a brilliant shade of deep red. The flowers typically contain 15 to 25 petals and exude a mild, pleasant fragrance. They emerge in clusters on long canes, creating a striking visual display when the plant is in full bloom, which generally occurs in late spring and recurs until fall.
In terms of growth habit, Ramblin' Red® Rose is characterized by a climbing nature, with the capacity to reach heights of up to 16-10 feet and a spread of 6 feet. This makes it an ideal plant for trellises, fences, and pergolas, where it can be trained to provide both beauty and shade.
The plant's foliage complements its showy flowers well, with healthy, medium to dark green leaves that provide a stunning backdrop to the brilliant red blooms. The foliage also demonstrates good resistance to common rose diseases such as blackspot and powdery mildew, making Ramblin' Red® Rose a relatively low-maintenance option for gardeners.
This rose prefers a full sun position for optimal flowering but can tolerate partial shade. It also appreciates well-drained soil and regular watering, especially during hot, dry periods. To encourage prolific blooming and maintain the plant's overall health, regular pruning and feeding with a balanced rose fertilizer are recommended.
Overall, the Ramblin' Red® Rose is a beautiful and resilient plant, with its spectacular red flowers, attractive growth habit, and disease resistance making it a cherished addition to many gardens.
The Ramblin' Red® Rose, with its vivid red flowers and vigorous climbing habit, offers a multitude of landscaping possibilities.
- Trellises and Arbors: The climbing nature of Ramblin' Red® Rose makes it an excellent choice for trellises, arbors, and pergolas. Placed in these structures, the roses can provide a striking vertical display of blooms, adding depth and interest to your landscape.
- Fences and Walls: These roses can also be trained to grow on fences or walls. They not only enhance the beauty of these structures but also help in softening their appearance. With their profuse flowering, they can transform a dull fence into a vibrant, living barrier.
- Privacy Screen: If planted in a series and trained on tall supports, Ramblin' Red® Roses can serve as an effective and visually appealing privacy screen, blocking out unwanted views and creating a sense of seclusion.
- Garden Borders: Though primarily known as a climber, this rose can also be used in garden borders. Pruned regularly to maintain a bushier habit, it can provide a stunning, recurring display of red blooms along pathways or garden edges.
- Cottage Gardens: With their vibrant color and old-fashioned charm, these roses are perfect for traditional cottage gardens. They can be combined with other perennials to create a romantic, timeless landscape.
- Container Gardening: Ramblin' Red® Roses can also be grown in large containers, making them versatile for patios, balconies, or other spaces where ground planting is not feasible. Be sure to provide a small trellis or other support within the container.
In all these applications, the Ramblin' Red® Rose adds an element of color, texture, and vertical interest, enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of your landscape. Remember, for the best display, these roses should be planted in locations that receive full sun and have well-drained soil.
The Ramblin' Red® Rose, like most roses, thrives with proper planting and care. Here are some guidelines to help you achieve the best results:
- Site Selection: Choose a location that receives at least six hours of sunlight each day. Though Ramblin' Red® Rose can tolerate some shade, a sunny spot will promote optimal flower production. The soil should be well-drained, as roses do not like 'wet feet'.
- Soil Preparation: Amend the soil with organic matter such as compost or well-rotted manure to enhance its fertility and improve its texture. Roses prefer slightly acidic to neutral pH, so you may need to amend the soil accordingly.
- Planting Hole: Dig a hole that is wide and deep enough to accommodate the root ball of the rose. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the bud union (the swollen area where the rose variety is grafted onto the rootstock) is level with or slightly above the soil surface. Backfill the hole with the amended soil.
- Watering: Water the Ramblin' Red® Rose deeply and regularly, especially during dry spells. However, avoid overhead watering to minimize the risk of fungal diseases.
- Fertilizing: Feed the roses with a balanced rose fertilizer, starting in early spring when new growth begins and continuing until late summer. Follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding the rate and frequency of application.
- Pruning: Prune your Ramblin' Red® Rose in late winter or early spring before new growth starts. Remove dead, damaged, or diseased wood, and thin out the plant to ensure good air circulation. For climbing roses, older canes can be cut back to promote the growth of new ones, which are often more productive.
- Disease and Pest Control: Inspect the plant regularly for signs of pests or diseases. Though Ramblin' Red® Rose has good disease resistance, it's not immune. If problems arise, treat promptly with an appropriate fungicide or pesticide.
- Winter Protection: In colder climates, provide winter protection by applying a thick layer of mulch around the base of the plant. This helps to insulate the root system from freezing temperatures.
Remember, a well-cared-for Ramblin' Red® Rose will reward you with a season-long display of vibrant red blooms, enhancing the beauty of your garden.
- Height: 6-10'
- Width: 6'
- Hardiness Zone: 4-7
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright, Spreading
- Flower Color: Red
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.