AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Red Fame Hypericum, scientifically known as Hypericum Inodorum 'KOLMAREF', is a fascinating and visually striking plant that has captured the attention of gardeners, landscapers, and plant enthusiasts alike. This particular cultivar of Hypericum is well-regarded for its unique attributes, which include striking red foliage, vibrant flowers, and versatile applications in various garden settings.
One of the most notable attributes of the Red Fame Hypericum is its stunning red foliage. Unlike most other Hypericum species, which tend to have green leaves, the Red Fame cultivar boasts an intense red coloration on its leaves. This attribute makes the plant stand out in any landscape, providing a bold contrast to the more common greenery. As the seasons progress, the color of the foliage can change, offering a dynamic display throughout the year.
The flowers of the Red Fame Hypericum are another captivating feature of this plant. They typically appear in the summer months, displaying bright yellow, saucer-shaped blooms. These cheerful flowers are adorned with prominent stamens, creating an eye-catching contrast against the plant's red foliage. The blooms are not only visually appealing, but they also attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies, making the Red Fame Hypericum an excellent choice for supporting local ecosystems.
In terms of growth habit, the Red Fame Hypericum is a compact and bushy deciduous shrub. It typically reaches a height of 3 to 4 feet and a similar spread, making it suitable for small garden spaces or as a colorful accent in larger landscapes. The plant is relatively low-maintenance, requiring only moderate water and well-drained soil. It thrives in full sun to partial shade, making it adaptable to a range of light conditions.
The Red Fame Hypericum's versatile nature lends itself well to a variety of landscape applications. It can be used as a focal point in a mixed border, grouped together as a low-growing hedge, or planted alongside other flowering plants to create a visually stunning display. Its exceptional attributes, including the vibrant red foliage and captivating flowers, make the Red Fame Hypericum a beloved addition to any garden or landscape.
The Red Fame Hypericum, with its striking red foliage and bright yellow flowers, offers a wealth of landscaping uses that can enhance the visual appeal and ecological value of various garden settings. Some of the most popular landscaping applications for this versatile plant include:
- Mixed borders: Incorporate the Red Fame Hypericum into mixed borders with other perennials, shrubs, and ornamental grasses. Its vivid foliage and flowers can create a stunning contrast with surrounding plants, adding depth and interest to the overall design.
- Foundation plantings: Plant the Red Fame Hypericum near building foundations to soften the appearance of structures and create a cohesive landscape design. The plant's compact size and attractive features make it an excellent choice for this purpose.
- Low-growing hedges: Group multiple Red Fame Hypericum shrubs together to create a low-growing hedge or living fence. This can provide a natural boundary, delineate garden spaces, or offer privacy without the need for tall or imposing barriers.
- Mass plantings: Plant several Red Fame Hypericum shrubs en masse to create a vibrant ground cover. The continuous spread of red foliage and yellow flowers will create a visually striking display, especially when planted on slopes or hillsides.
- Wildlife gardens: Include the Red Fame Hypericum in a wildlife garden to attract pollinators like bees and butterflies. Its vibrant flowers provide an essential food source for these beneficial insects, promoting a healthy and biodiverse ecosystem.
- Container gardens: Plant the Red Fame Hypericum in containers or pots to add a burst of color to patios, balconies, or small outdoor spaces. The shrub's compact size and adaptability make it well-suited for container gardening.
- Specimen plantings: Use the Red Fame Hypericum as a standalone specimen or focal point in the garden. Its distinct coloration and captivating blooms can draw attention and create visual interest in any landscape setting.
By incorporating the Red Fame Hypericum into various landscaping designs, gardeners can enhance the visual appeal, ecological value, and overall functionality of their outdoor spaces.
Planting and caring for the Red Fame Hypericum requires attention to a few essential factors, including location, soil, water, and general maintenance. By following these guidelines, you can ensure the health and vigor of your plant while maximizing its ornamental appeal:
- Location: Choose a location that receives full sun to partial shade. The Red Fame Hypericum thrives in various light conditions, but it will produce the best foliage color and flower production in a site that receives at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil: Plant the Red Fame Hypericum in well-draining soil with a neutral to slightly acidic pH. Although this shrub can tolerate a range of soil types, it may struggle in heavy clay or overly saturated soils. Amend the planting area with organic matter such as compost or well-rotted manure to improve drainage and fertility.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of the plant. Gently loosen the roots before placing the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill the hole with soil, firming it gently around the plant to eliminate air pockets. Water thoroughly to settle the soil around the roots.
- Water: The Red Fame Hypericum has moderate water requirements. Water the plant regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep and extensive root system. Once established, the shrub can tolerate occasional dry spells, but it is essential to maintain consistent moisture during prolonged periods of drought.
- Mulch: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch, such as shredded bark or leaf litter, around the base of the plant. Mulch helps to conserve soil moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature, promoting the overall health of the plant.
- Fertilization: Feed the Red Fame Hypericum with a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring before new growth begins. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for application rates and methods.
- Pruning: Prune the Red Fame Hypericum in late winter or early spring before new growth emerges. Remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches, and shape the plant as desired. Pruning encourages bushier growth and better air circulation, which can help prevent disease.
- Pest and Disease Control: The Red Fame Hypericum is relatively pest and disease-resistant. However, monitor the plant regularly for signs of common issues like aphids, scale insects, or fungal infections. Treat any problems promptly with appropriate cultural or chemical controls, following label instructions and safety precautions.
By adhering to these planting and care guidelines, you can ensure the health, beauty, and longevity of your Red Fame Hypericum, creating a visually striking and vibrant addition to your garden or landscape.
- Height: 2.5-3'
- Width: 2.5-3'
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Hardiness Zone: 6-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Shape: Upright, rounded
- Flower Color: Yellow
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.