AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Discover More Information On Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle
The combination of prolific dark rosy blooms and dark purple leaves make Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle a standout in any warm-climate landscape. While many dark leaf crapemyrtle are riddled with foliar issues, Shadow Magic™ is incredibly disease resistant, especially to powdery mildew, so the glossy dark leaves remain brilliant spring through fall. More compact than Twilight Magic™, this variety matures to 7-9' tall and 5-7' wide, creating a beautiful upright shrub or small tree.
The Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle (Lagerstroemia 'Bailllagtwo') is a stunning ornamental plant, highly valued for its unique attributes and ability to thrive in a variety of garden settings. This hybrid cultivar is a member of the Lythraceae family and is known for its distinctive, colorful flowers, as well as its attractive bark and foliage. As a compact, deciduous shrub, it is an excellent choice for small gardens, borders, or even container gardening.
One of the most striking features of the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is its vivid, dark purple-black foliage, which provides a dramatic contrast to the plant's abundant flower display. Throughout the summer months, this beautiful shrub produces clusters of rich, deep magenta flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. The flowers are characterized by their delicate, crinkled petals that resemble crepe paper, hence the name Crapemyrtle. The blooms last for an extended period, providing a long-lasting and eye-catching spectacle in the garden.
The Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is a relatively low-maintenance plant, making it an ideal choice for both experienced and novice gardeners. It grows to a mature height of 3-4 feet and a spread of 3-4 feet, which means it can fit well in smaller garden spaces or be used as a focal point in larger landscapes. This cultivar is also known for its excellent disease resistance, particularly against powdery mildew and leaf spot, which are common issues among other Crapemyrtle varieties.
In terms of growing conditions, the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle prefers full sun exposure, as it allows for the best foliage color and flower production. It is adaptable to various soil types but thrives best in well-draining, moderately fertile soil with a slightly acidic to neutral pH. The plant is drought-tolerant once established, but it is essential to provide consistent moisture during its first few years of growth.
The exfoliating bark of the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is another attractive feature that adds visual interest, especially during the winter months when the plant is dormant. The smooth, cinnamon-colored bark peels away to reveal a lighter, contrasting layer beneath, creating a unique and striking texture in the landscape.
The Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is a versatile, low-maintenance, and highly ornamental plant. With its dark, dramatic foliage and vibrant magenta flowers, it adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to any garden setting. Its compact size, disease resistance, and adaptability make it an excellent choice for a wide range of landscaping needs.
The Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is a versatile plant with various landscaping uses that can enhance the aesthetics of gardens and outdoor spaces. Its compact size, striking foliage, and vibrant flowers make it a popular choice for a range of applications. Here are some of the primary landscaping uses for this captivating plant:
- Focal point: The unique color and texture of the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle make it a natural focal point in gardens. Plant it as a centerpiece or in a prominent location to draw attention and create visual interest.
- Border planting: Its compact size makes it suitable for border planting, where it can provide a stunning backdrop for other plants. The dark foliage contrasts beautifully with lighter or brightly colored flowers and foliage, creating a rich tapestry of colors and textures.
- Foundation planting: Plant the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle near building foundations to soften the appearance of structures and add visual interest. The plant's low height ensures that it won't obstruct views or grow too close to buildings.
- Container gardening: This Crapemyrtle variety can be grown in large containers, making it a suitable choice for patios, balconies, or other small outdoor spaces. It can also be used to create portable displays or to add color and texture to hardscaped areas.
- Mass planting: Plant several Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtles together to create a stunning mass of dark foliage and vibrant flowers. This technique can be used to fill in large spaces or to create a dense, colorful hedge.
- Wildlife garden: The flowers of the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and other pollinators, making it an excellent addition to a wildlife-friendly garden.
- Specimen planting: Use the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle as a stand-alone specimen in a garden bed or mixed border. The contrast between its dark foliage and vibrant flowers will make it a standout feature.
- Mixed shrub border: Incorporate the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle into a mixed shrub border to create a multi-layered, textured look. Combine it with other shrubs, perennials, and ornamental grasses for a visually appealing and dynamic display.
By considering the specific needs and layout of your garden, you can integrate the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle into various landscaping designs to enhance the beauty and interest of your outdoor space.
Planting & Care
Planting and caring for a Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is relatively simple, as it is a low-maintenance plant that is adaptable to a variety of conditions. To ensure the health and success of your Crapemyrtle, follow these guidelines:
- Planting location: Choose a planting site with full sun exposure, as this will promote optimal foliage color and flower production. The plant can tolerate some light shade, but its overall performance may be reduced.
- Soil preparation: The Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle thrives in well-draining, moderately fertile soil with a slightly acidic to neutral pH. Amend the planting area with organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve soil fertility and drainage if necessary.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and slightly deeper than the root ball. Gently remove the plant from its container and loosen the roots. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill in the hole with soil, firming it gently to remove any air pockets. Water thoroughly to settle the soil around the roots.
- Watering: Provide consistent moisture during the first few years of growth, especially during periods of drought. Once established, the Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is relatively drought-tolerant but may benefit from supplemental watering during extended dry spells.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch, such as wood chips or shredded bark, around the base of the plant. This will help conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature. Be sure to keep the mulch a few inches away from the trunk to prevent rot and disease.
- Fertilization: Fertilize your Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle in early spring with a slow-release, balanced fertilizer (such as 10-10-10) or an organic alternative, following the package instructions. This will encourage healthy growth and abundant flowering.
- Pruning: Prune your Crapemyrtle in late winter or early spring, before new growth emerges. Remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches to maintain an open, vase-shaped structure. Lightly trim the tips of the branches to encourage branching and more prolific blooming. Avoid heavy pruning or "topping," as this can lead to weak growth and reduced flowering.
- Pest and disease control: The Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle is resistant to common diseases such as powdery mildew and leaf spot. However, monitor your plant for signs of pests or diseases and treat them promptly if necessary. Use appropriate cultural practices, such as proper watering, pruning, and sanitation, to minimize the risk of issues.
By following these planting and care guidelines, your Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle will reward you with its stunning foliage, vibrant flowers, and overall beauty for years to come.
Shadow Magic™ Crapemyrtle
- Height: 7-9'
- Width: 5-7'
- Hardiness Zone: 7-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit" Upright, Oval
- Flower Color: Dark Pink
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.