AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Show Off® Forsythia x intermedia is a deciduous shrub known for its radiant yellow flowers that bloom in the early spring. Standing tall within the height category, it reaches a garden height of 60 to 72 inches and equally spreads out to about 60 to 72 inches. These dimensions, coupled with its upright habit, make it an eye-catching choice for gardeners. Its leaves are a rich dark green, providing a contrasting backdrop to its bright blooms. An added advantage is its ability to thrive under various lighting conditions, from part sun to full sun, making it adaptable to different garden exposures. In terms of maintenance, it falls in the easy category, and it's notably resistant to deer, a common concern for many gardeners.
Additionally, its heat tolerance ensures it remains robust during warmer periods. Beyond its visual appeal, the Show Off® Forsythia serves practical purposes too; it's an excellent cut flower and is perfect as a specimen plant for mixed borders and foundational plantings.
he Show Off® Forsythia x intermedia offers a variety of landscaping uses:
- Specimen Plant: With its radiant yellow blooms, the Show Off® Forsythia stands out brilliantly when planted individually. It can serve as a focal point in gardens, drawing attention during its blooming season.
- Mixed Borders: Due to its moderate height and spread, this shrub integrates well within mixed borders. Its vibrant flowers and dark green foliage create a seamless transition between neighboring plants, adding texture and color variety.
- Foundational Plantings: Its upright and compact growth habit makes the Show Off® Forsythia an excellent choice for foundational plantings, adding a burst of color against buildings or fences during the spring.
- Hedges: Even though it's compact and doesn't demand frequent pruning, it can be lined up with other Forsythia shrubs to form a bright, dense hedge during its blooming season.
- Container Planting: Its upright habit allows the Show Off® Forsythia to be a "thriller" in container garden designs, especially when surrounded by "filler" and "spiller" plants.
- Cut Flower Garden: The bright yellow flowers are ideal for cut displays, adding a touch of spring to indoor arrangements.
- Wildlife Garden: While it's notably deer resistant, the flowers can attract various pollinators during the blooming season.
- Urban Gardens: Given its adaptability to different soils and its resistance to city conditions like air pollution, it's suitable for urban landscapes.
By incorporating the Show Off® Forsythia into landscaping designs, gardeners can ensure a vibrant and showy early spring garden display.
- Site Selection: Choose a location with good sunlight, as the plant thrives in part sun to full sun conditions.
- Soil Preparation: While the Show Off® Forsythia prefers a loose, well-draining soil, it's adaptable and can tolerate various soil types. Ensure the chosen spot has well-draining soil to prevent waterlogging.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole twice as wide as the plant's root ball and just as deep. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the ground.
- Spacing: Space individual plants about 60 to 72 inches apart to allow for mature growth and air circulation.
- Watering: After planting, water the plant thoroughly to help settle the soil around the roots.
- Watering Needs: The plant prefers medium moisture. Ensure consistent watering, especially during the growing season, but avoid over-watering or letting the soil become waterlogged.
- Fertilizing: In early spring, apply a slow-release fertilizer formulated for trees and shrubs. Follow the label's recommended application rate.
- Pruning: If needed, the best time to prune is immediately after flowering. Older stems can either be removed or cut back to the ground. Shaping, if necessary, should also be done post-flowering.
- Disease and Pests: The Show Off® Forsythia is notably deer resistant. However, always monitor for common pests and diseases that may affect forsythias, and take action as necessary.
- Hardiness Zones: This plant is hardy in zones 5a through 8a. Ensure the plant's hardiness matches your local climate zone.
- City Conditions: Show Off® Forsythia is tolerant of city conditions, including air pollution. Its adaptability makes it a fitting choice for urban gardens.
- Maintenance Level: Falling under the easy maintenance category, this plant requires minimal care. Given its compact nature, frequent pruning is unnecessary, making it low-maintenance for gardeners.
- Watering Needs: Show Off® Forsythia x intermedia thrives best with medium moisture. While it prefers a good loose soil, it's adaptable and can perform well even in other soil types. Regular watering is essential, but avoid waterlogging.
- Botanical Pronunciation: For-SY-thi-a x in-ter-ME-di-a
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth Rate: Given its height and spread of about 5-6 feet, it has a moderate to vigorous growth rate.
- Average Landscape Size: The shrub achieves a garden height and spread of 60 to 72 inches.
- Dramatic Foliage: Yes, Show Off® Forsythia flaunts dark green foliage that beautifully offsets its bright yellow flowers.
- Foliage Color: Dark Green
- Blooms: The shrub is celebrated for its early spring bright yellow blooms.
- Flower Color: Yellow
- Flower Attributes: Beyond its visual appeal, the yellow flowers of Show Off® Forsythia are dense and cover the plant from the ground up, creating a vibrant spring display.
- Garden Style: This shrub is versatile in design, suitable for mixed borders, foundations, and even as a compact hedge without the need for pruning.
- Design Ideas: Show Off® Forsythia serves as a brilliant early spring spectacle, especially when used as a specimen plant or a centerpiece in containers. Given its compact nature, it eliminates the need for constant trimming, making it a low-maintenance highlight in gardens.
- Companion Plants: Pair Show Off® Forsythia with other early spring bloomers or plants that offer contrasting colors. Its dark green foliage and yellow flowers would juxtapose well with plants having purple or white blooms, creating a balanced and attractive garden palette.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.