AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Spice Baby™ Koreanspice Viburnum, is a deciduous shrub that is highly valued for its multi-faceted attributes, making it an excellent choice for a variety of landscaping needs. This medium-sized shrub typically grows to a height and spread of 3'6" to 5', showcasing a balanced and compact form. Its most striking feature is the profusion of fragrant white flowers that bloom in the spring, offering a visual and olfactory delight. These blooms emerge on old wood, making early spring the ideal time for pruning to maintain its shape and health.
In terms of foliage, the Spice Baby™ boasts lush green leaves that contribute to its full and vibrant appearance throughout the growing season. The foliage's green shade adds a soothing, natural element to garden spaces. This shrub is also known for its upright growing habit, which allows it to stand out in garden designs, serving effectively as a 'thriller' element in container plantings.
The Spice Baby™ Koreanspice Viburnum (Viburnum carlesii) is a versatile shrub that can be incorporated into various landscaping designs due to its attractive features and manageable size. Here are some of its primary landscaping uses:
- Mixed Borders: The compact size and fragrant, showy white flowers of the Spice Baby™ make it an excellent choice for mixed border plantings. It can be paired with perennials and other shrubs to create a diverse and layered look.
- Foundation Plantings: This viburnum's moderate growth and neat habit make it ideal for foundation plantings. It can help soften the lines of a building and add natural beauty to the architectural landscape.
- Stand-alone Specimen: With its fragrant flowers and lush green foliage, the Spice Baby™ can serve as a focal point in small gardens or yard spaces. Its upright habit and moderate size allow it to stand out as a solo feature.
- Container Planting: Due to its compact nature, this shrub is suitable for container planting, making it a good choice for patios, balconies, or terraces. It can bring greenery and fragrance to small or paved spaces.
- Small Garden Spaces: Its small to medium size makes the Spice Baby™ ideal for small garden spaces, where it can add significant visual interest without overwhelming the area.
- Pathway and Walkway Borders: Planting this viburnum alongside pathways or walkways can create an inviting and fragrant experience for pedestrians. Its spring blooms are particularly appealing in this setting.
- Sensory Gardens: The strong fragrance of its flowers makes the Spice Baby™ a wonderful addition to sensory gardens, where plants are selected for their sensory appeal.
- Wildlife Gardens: While it is deer-resistant, the potential for berry production (when cross-pollinated with another Viburnum carlesii cultivar) can attract birds and other wildlife, making it a beneficial plant for wildlife gardens.
In conclusion, the Spice Baby™ Koreanspice Viburnum is a multifaceted shrub that can be employed in various landscaping applications, ranging from decorative borders to focal points in both large and small-scale gardens. Its fragrant flowers, lush foliage, and manageable size make it a valuable and attractive addition to many types of outdoor spaces.
The Spice Baby™ Koreanspice Viburnum is a relatively easy plant to care for, but it does have specific needs for optimal growth and flowering. Here's a guide to planting and caring for this shrub:
- Timing: Plant in early spring or fall to allow the roots to establish before extreme temperatures.
- Location: Choose a spot that receives full sun to partial shade. The plant thrives with at least four hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil Preparation: The shrub prefers moist, well-drained soil. Amend the planting area with compost or other organic matter to improve drainage and nutrient content.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Place the shrub in the hole, ensuring it's at the same depth it was in the container. Fill in around the root ball with soil, and space plants 3'6" to 5' apart, depending on the desired density.
- Watering: After planting, water thoroughly. During the first growing season, keep the soil consistently moist to help establish a strong root system. Once established, water occasionally, more frequently in extreme heat or if planted in containers.
Care and Maintenance:
- Sunlight: Ensure the plant receives its required amount of sun or partial shade for healthy growth and bloom production.
- Watering: Water regularly during the first year. Once established, the Spice Baby™ is somewhat drought-tolerant but benefits from occasional watering, especially in dry conditions.
- Mulching: Apply mulch around the base of the plant to retain moisture and regulate soil temperature.
- Fertilizing: Use a controlled-release fertilizer in spring. Avoid over-fertilizing, which can inhibit flowering.
- Pruning: Prune after flowering to maintain shape and size. Since it blooms on old wood, avoid heavy pruning in late fall or winter as this can remove the next season's flower buds.
- Pest and Disease Management: Generally, the Spice Baby™ is not significantly troubled by pests or diseases. However, keep an eye out for common viburnum pests like aphids and treat as necessary.
- Winter Care: In colder climates (hardy zones 4-8), the plant may benefit from additional mulch around the base to protect the roots from freezing temperatures.
Following these guidelines will help ensure your Spice Baby™ Koreanspice Viburnum grows vigorously and provides abundant fragrant blooms each spring. Regular care and attention will result in a healthy, attractive shrub that enhances your garden for many years.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Prefers moist, well-drained soil; regular watering needed to establish, then water occasionally; more in extreme heat or containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: vy-BUR-num KAR-lee-see-eye
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Grows to a height and spread of 3'6" to 5'.
- Special features: Fragrant flowers, compact size, deer-resistant, produces berries (with cross-pollination), suitable for smaller landscapes.
- Dramatic Foliage: Lush green leaves throughout the growing season.
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Early to late spring
- Flower color: White
- Flower attributes: Fragrant, showy flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Traditional, Urban Garden
- Design Ideas: Ideal for mixed borders, foundation plantings, or as a standalone specimen. Its compact size makes it suitable for small gardens and container planting. The fragrant flowers make it a delightful addition near patios and walkways.
- Companion Plants: To produce berries, pair with another Viburnum carlesii cultivar, such as Spice Girl.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.