AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Spot On™ Spirea is an eye-catching perennial shrub that thrives in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 3 through 8. Known for its striking aesthetics and easy care, this plant exhibits a perfect mix of form, function, and adaptability, making it a favored choice among gardening enthusiasts.
The plant boasts a rounded, compact habit, typically reaching heights of about 3-4 feet and spreading equally wide. Its dense growth makes it an excellent choice for ground cover or for filling in spaces in a garden landscape. The leaves of Spot On™ Spirea are one of its most defining characteristics. They are a vibrant purple-red when new, maturing to a deep, rich burgundy that persists throughout the season. This vivid foliage provides a perfect backdrop to the clusters of pink flowers that bloom in late spring or early summer.
The flower clusters are made up of numerous small, star-shaped blossoms that provide a delightful contrast to the dark leaves. These blooms tend to attract a range of pollinators, including butterflies, bees, and other beneficial insects, adding an interactive dimension to your garden.
Spot On™ Spirea is a hardy plant, requiring minimal maintenance. It thrives in full sun but can tolerate partial shade. The plant prefers moist, well-drained soils, but it can adapt to a variety of soil types, including clay, loamy, or sandy soils. The shrub is also resistant to many common plant diseases and pests, which further contributes to its popularity as a robust garden or landscape feature.
In terms of landscaping uses, Spot On™ Spirea is extremely versatile. It can be used in borders, hedges, mass plantings, and even containers. Its compact size also makes it ideal for urban gardens or smaller spaces. Overall, the Spot On™ Spirea is a beautiful, hardy, and versatile plant that can add a burst of color and life to any garden.
Spot On™ Spirea's aesthetic appeal and versatile nature make it suitable for a wide variety of landscaping uses:
- Borders: Spot On™ Spirea's compact size and vibrant foliage make it an excellent choice for border plantings. Its colorful foliage and attractive blossoms can provide a dynamic visual boundary around garden spaces or pathways.
- Hedges: When planted in a line, the shrubs can form an effective, low-growing hedge or privacy screen. The dense growth habit of these plants provides an excellent natural barrier.
- Mass Plantings: For larger garden spaces, Spot On™ Spirea can be used in mass plantings, where a group of these shrubs are planted together to create a large, eye-catching display of color and texture.
- Containers: Because of their modest size and adaptability, these shrubs can also be grown in containers. This can be particularly useful in urban gardens, patios, or on balconies where ground space may be limited.
- Mixed Beds: Spot On™ Spirea can be paired with other perennial flowers and shrubs in mixed beds to provide contrast and variety. Its dark foliage can complement plants with lighter-colored leaves or flowers.
- Foundation Plantings: The shrubs can be used for foundation plantings around buildings to soften the structure's appearance and blend it with the surrounding landscape.
- Wildlife Gardens: Spot On™ Spirea's attractive blossoms are great for attracting a variety of pollinators, such as bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, making it an excellent choice for wildlife or pollinator-friendly gardens.
- Rock Gardens: Given their hardy nature, these shrubs can also be incorporated into rock gardens, adding a touch of color and softness among the stones.
Whether it's used as a standalone plant or combined with other garden plants, Spot On™ Spirea's aesthetic qualities and hardy nature make it a valuable addition to any landscaping design.
Spot On™ Spirea is an easy-to-care-for plant, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. Here's a guide on how to plant and care for this lovely shrub:
- Site Selection: Choose a location in your garden that receives full sun to partial shade. While Spot On™ Spirea prefers full sun for optimal color and blooming, it can tolerate a bit of shade.
- Soil Preparation: The plant adapts to a wide range of soil types, but for best results, ensure the soil is well-draining. Amend heavy clay soils with compost or other organic matter to improve drainage.
- Planting Hole: Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the container the spirea came in. Gently remove the plant from its container, place it in the hole ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface, then backfill the hole.
- Watering: After planting, water thoroughly, and then water regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep root system. Once established, Spot On™ Spirea is drought-tolerant, but it's best to provide it with regular moisture for optimal growth.
- Fertilizing: In early spring, apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer to promote vigorous growth and abundant blooms. Follow the product instructions for dosage and application.
- Pruning: Spirea blooms on new wood, so prune in late winter or early spring to encourage new growth and a flush of blooms. Cut back to within a few inches of the ground. Regular pruning will help maintain a tidy appearance and promote a vigorous bloom.
- Pest and Disease Management: While Spot On™ Spirea is resistant to many pests and diseases, monitoring the plant regularly helps catch any potential issues early. Deal with pests using appropriate organic or chemical controls, and ensure good air circulation and proper watering to prevent most fungal diseases.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture and suppress weed growth.
Overall, the Spot On™ Spirea is a relatively low-maintenance shrub that offers high rewards in terms of beauty and versatility. With regular care and attention, this stunning plant can be a star attraction in your garden for many years.
- Height: 3-4
- Width: 3-5'
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Rounded, Spreading
- Flower Color: Bright Pink
- Foliage: Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.