AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Discover More Information On Spring Fling™ Forsythia
A beacon of spring, forsythia are known for their brilliant explosion of colorful flowers early in the season. Spring Fling™ Forsythia does just that, bringing the garden to life with profuse yellow blooms to the tips of each stem. Maturing to 5-6' tall and wide, Spring Fling™ can be a back-of-border focal point in spring, create a beautiful hedge, or serve as a foundational anchor at the corner of your home. Growing best in full sun, Spring Fling™ is not picky about soil type and can be planted most anywhere you need a pop of early-season flowers.
The Spring Fling™ Forsythia is a delightful addition to any garden, adding a splash of vibrant color and charm during the early spring months. This deciduous shrub is a hybrid variety known for its unique attributes and exceptional ornamental value. It brings with it the essence of spring, as it bursts into life with an array of golden-yellow flowers adorning its branches.
One of the most appealing attributes of the Spring Fling™ Forsythia is its compact size, making it an excellent choice for smaller gardens or as an accent plant in larger landscapes. This variety typically grows to a height and spread of 3-4 feet (0.9-1.2 meters), allowing it to fit seamlessly into various garden designs. Its naturally compact and mounding growth habit requires minimal pruning, making it a low-maintenance option for busy gardeners.
The Spring Fling™ Forsythia is known for its early blooming habit, usually appearing in late winter to early spring, depending on the climate. The flowers bloom on old wood, covering the arching branches with an abundance of bell-shaped, golden-yellow blossoms. These flowers are a much-welcomed sight after a long winter and serve as an essential source of nectar for pollinators like bees and butterflies.
The foliage of this Forsythia variety is another attractive feature. The leaves are medium green, elliptic to ovate in shape, and possess a slightly serrated edge. As the season progresses, the foliage takes on a dark green hue, creating a lush backdrop for the fading flowers. In the fall, the leaves transform into a mix of yellow, orange, and purple shades, adding an extra layer of visual interest to the garden.
The Spring Fling™ Forsythia is a hardy plant, capable of thriving in USDA hardiness zones 5 to 8. It prefers well-draining soil, but is adaptable to various soil types, including clay, loam, and sandy soils. This shrub is also drought-tolerant once established, making it an excellent choice for gardens with water restrictions. For optimal growth and flowering, plant the Spring Fling™ Forsythia in a location with full sun to partial shade.
The Spring Fling™ Forsythia offers a multitude of landscaping uses, thanks to its vibrant blooms, compact size, and adaptability. Here are some ways to incorporate this stunning shrub into your garden or landscape:
- Foundation planting: Due to its compact size and neat growth habit, the Spring Fling™ Forsythia is an excellent choice for foundation plantings. It provides visual interest and a burst of color along the base of a house or building without becoming too overgrown.
- Border planting: This Forsythia variety is perfect for defining garden borders or pathways. Its vivid yellow flowers create a striking contrast with other plants, and its mounding growth habit lends itself well to creating a low, natural border.
- Mass planting: Planting several Spring Fling™ Forsythia shrubs together can create a spectacular mass of golden-yellow blooms in the spring. This is especially useful for larger landscapes where you want to create a bold, eye-catching display.
- Mixed shrub borders: Combine the Spring Fling™ Forsythia with other deciduous and evergreen shrubs to create a diverse and visually appealing mixed border. The bright yellow flowers will provide a stunning contrast to the foliage of other shrubs, while the green leaves of the Forsythia will serve as a backdrop for other flowering plants throughout the growing season.
- Wildlife garden: The early spring blooms of the Spring Fling™ Forsythia provide a crucial source of nectar for pollinators, such as bees and butterflies, when other food sources are scarce. Incorporate this shrub into a wildlife garden to support these essential creatures.
- Specimen plant: With its vibrant flowers and compact size, the Spring Fling™ Forsythia can make a beautiful focal point or specimen plant in a smaller garden. Plant it in a prominent spot where its springtime display can be easily admired.
- Container gardening: The Spring Fling™ Forsythia's modest size and adaptability make it suitable for growing in containers. This allows you to enjoy its cheerful blooms on patios, balconies, or other small outdoor spaces.
By incorporating the Spring Fling™ Forsythia into your landscape design, you can create a dynamic and captivating garden that bursts with color and life during the early spring months.
Planting & Care
Planting and caring for the Spring Fling™ Forsythia is relatively straightforward, as it is a hardy and adaptable shrub. To ensure that your plant thrives and produces a stunning display of vibrant flowers each spring, follow these planting and care guidelines:
- Planting location: Choose a location with full sun to partial shade for optimal growth and flowering. The Spring Fling™ Forsythia will perform best in a spot that receives at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day. If planting multiple shrubs, space them approximately 3-4 feet (0.9-1.2 meters) apart to provide adequate room for growth.
- Soil preparation: The Spring Fling™ Forsythia can tolerate a range of soil types, including clay, loam, and sandy soils. However, it prefers well-draining soil to prevent root rot. Amend heavy clay soil with organic matter, such as compost, to improve drainage and provide essential nutrients.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and as deep as the root ball of the shrub. Place the root ball in the hole, ensuring that the top is level with the surrounding soil. Fill the hole with the excavated soil, gently firming it around the roots to eliminate air pockets. Water the plant thoroughly to help it establish.
- Watering: During the first growing season, water the Spring Fling™ Forsythia regularly to ensure consistent moisture in the soil. Once established, this shrub is drought-tolerant and will only require supplemental watering during extended dry periods.
- Fertilization: Apply a balanced slow-release fertilizer in early spring to promote healthy growth and abundant flowering. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding the application rate.
- Pruning: Minimal pruning is required for the Spring Fling™ Forsythia due to its compact growth habit. However, if needed, prune immediately after flowering to maintain its shape and size. Since the flowers bloom on old wood, avoid pruning just before the blooming period to prevent the loss of flowers.
- Pest and disease control: The Spring Fling™ Forsythia is generally resistant to pests and diseases. However, keep an eye out for common issues like aphids, leaf spot, or twig blight. Treat any problems promptly with the appropriate cultural or chemical controls.
Spring Fling™ Forsythia
- Height: 5-6'
- Width: 5-6'
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Hardiness Zone: 5-8
- Heat Zone: 8
- Shape: Upright
- Flower Color: Yellow
- Foliage: Bright Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.