AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata 'Rensun') is a stunning deciduous shrub that showcases a captivating display of color-changing blooms throughout the summer season. This unique plant, which is a part of the Panicle Hydrangea family, is known for its hardiness, ease of care, and compact growth habit. It is an excellent choice for gardeners who are looking for a low-maintenance plant that adds a touch of visual intrigue to their landscape.
The Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea typically grows to a height of 4-5 feet, with a similar spread, making it an ideal choice for small gardens, borders, or as an accent plant. Its compact size means that it can be easily incorporated into a variety of garden designs. This shrub is hardy in USDA zones 3-8, making it suitable for a wide range of climates.
One of the most striking attributes of the Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea is its large, conical flower panicles that emerge in mid-summer. The blooms begin as a creamy white and gradually transition to a luscious pink as they mature, eventually taking on a deep, strawberry red hue. This stunning color transformation creates a breathtaking, multi-tonal effect that adds depth and visual interest to the garden.
The leaves of the Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea are dark green and ovate, providing a lush backdrop for the vibrant blooms. The foliage often takes on a yellow hue in the autumn, adding another layer of color to the plant's seasonal display. This hydrangea variety is known for its strong stems, which not only provide support for the large flower panicles but also make it an excellent choice for cut flower arrangements.
In terms of care, the Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea is relatively low maintenance. It prefers well-draining soil and can tolerate a range of pH levels. This shrub thrives in full sun to partial shade, with the best flowering occurring in locations with more sun exposure. Pruning is best done in late winter or early spring to encourage new growth and maintain the plant's compact shape.
The Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea is a versatile, hardy, and easy-to-grow shrub that offers an eye-catching display of color-changing blooms throughout the summer season. Its compact size, strong stems, and stunning flowers make it a perfect addition to any garden landscape.
The Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea is a versatile plant with numerous landscaping uses, thanks to its compact size, stunning blooms, and hardy nature. Here are some of the ways in which this delightful shrub can be incorporated into various landscape designs:
- Foundation Planting: Due to its moderate size, the Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea is an excellent choice for foundation plantings around homes or buildings. It adds a pop of color to the space and softens the appearance of structures.
- Mixed Borders: This hydrangea works well in mixed borders with other flowering plants, shrubs, and ornamental grasses. Its changing bloom colors and attractive foliage create a dynamic display that blends harmoniously with other plants in the border.
- Accent Plant: The Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea is a great choice as an accent plant in garden beds or borders. Its striking blooms and color transformation can serve as a focal point in the landscape, drawing attention and adding visual interest.
- Container Gardening: Its compact size makes this hydrangea suitable for container gardening, allowing gardeners to enjoy its beauty on patios, balconies, or terraces. Ensure proper drainage and provide adequate space for the plant to grow.
- Mass Planting: Planting several Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangeas together in groups or en masse can create a stunning visual impact in larger gardens, parks, or public spaces. The mass of color-changing blooms creates an impressive and eye-catching display.
- Privacy Screen or Hedge: When planted in a row, this hydrangea can serve as a low-growing privacy screen or hedge. It not only provides a beautiful barrier but also adds texture and color to the landscape.
- Cottage Gardens: The Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea is well-suited to cottage-style gardens, where its charming blooms and lush foliage blend seamlessly with other traditional flowering plants.
- Wildlife Gardens: The blooms of the Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea can attract pollinators like butterflies and bees, making it an excellent addition to wildlife-friendly gardens.
- Cut Flower Gardens: Thanks to its strong stems and long-lasting blooms, this hydrangea is an excellent choice for cut flower gardens. The flowers can be used in fresh arrangements or dried for long-lasting displays.
With its wide array of landscaping uses, the Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea can be effortlessly incorporated into diverse garden styles and settings, adding a touch of elegance and charm to any landscape.
Planting and caring for a Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata 'Rensun') requires attention to a few key factors to ensure the plant thrives and displays its stunning blooms each year. Here's a guide to help you plant and care for this beautiful shrub:
- Site Selection: Choose a location that provides full sun to partial shade, with a preference for morning sun and afternoon shade in hotter climates. The plant will produce the most abundant blooms in areas with more sun exposure.
- Soil Preparation: The Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea prefers well-draining soil with a pH range between 5.5 and 7.0. Amend the soil with organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve soil structure and fertility.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice the width and slightly deeper than the plant's root ball. Gently remove the plant from its container, loosen the roots, and place it in the hole, ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Backfill the hole with the amended soil, gently firming it down to eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: Water the plant thoroughly immediately after planting, and keep the soil consistently moist (but not waterlogged) during the first growing season. Once established, the hydrangea is moderately drought-tolerant but will benefit from regular watering during dry periods.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch, such as bark chips or shredded leaves, around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem to avoid potential rot issues.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer (e.g., 10-10-10) in early spring, following the package instructions. Alternatively, use a fertilizer specifically formulated for hydrangeas or acid-loving plants.
- Pruning: Prune the Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea in late winter or early spring, before new growth begins. Remove dead, damaged, or crossing branches, and trim back the previous year's growth by about one-third to encourage a compact shape and vigorous new growth.
- Pest and Disease Control: While generally resistant to common pests and diseases, monitor the plant for signs of aphids, spider mites, or powdery mildew. Treat any infestations or infections promptly with the appropriate insecticides or fungicides, following label instructions.
Follow these planting and care guidelines, and your Strawberry Sundae® Panicle Hydrangea will reward you with stunning, color-changing blooms and healthy growth, adding beauty and interest to your landscape for many years to come.
- Height: 3-5'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Heat Zone: 8
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Compact, Upright
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.