AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Superstar™ Spirea is a remarkably showy shrub, known for its vibrant floral display and impressive resilience. This plant, as a member of the genus Spiraea, belongs to the Rosaceae family, also known as the rose family.
One of the most striking attributes of the Superstar™ Spirea is its profusion of star-shaped flowers that give the plant its name. They typically appear in late spring to early summer, blossoming in large, flat clusters at the end of the plant's arching branches. These flowers are usually white, although some varieties produce pink or red flowers.
The Superstar™ Spirea boasts a compact growth habit, growing to about 2 to 3 feet high and wide, making it suitable for borders, foundation plantings, and low hedges. Its deciduous leaves are generally small, oval-shaped, and finely toothed along the edges, transitioning from a bright green hue in the spring and summer to a vibrant, often fiery, array of colors in the fall. This seasonal color change makes the plant an excellent choice for year-round interest in the garden.
In terms of environmental tolerances, Superstar™ Spirea is quite hardy. It prefers full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil. It is also notably drought-tolerant once established, which makes it an excellent choice for xeriscaping or low-water gardens. The plant is also resistant to most pests and diseases, contributing to its overall low-maintenance character.
All these attributes — the vibrant, abundant blossoms, the colorful fall foliage, the manageable size, and the plant's robustness — make the Superstar™ Spirea a desirable choice for both novice and experienced gardeners seeking a reliable and decorative addition to their landscapes.
The Superstar™ Spirea's versatile nature allows for a wide array of landscaping uses. Here are some of the most common applications for this plant:
- Border Planting: Due to its compact size and stunning floral display, Superstar™ Spirea is an excellent choice for border plantings. When lined along walkways, driveways, or property lines, these shrubs can create an impressive burst of color.
- Foundation Planting: This Spirea can be used around the foundation of a building to soften the lines and add a touch of nature. It's important to plant them at a proper distance from the building to avoid future problems with roots and branches.
- Mass Planting: Superstar™ Spirea looks truly spectacular when planted en masse. The brilliant, star-shaped flowers can create a stunning, cohesive visual impact in a large garden or park setting.
- Low Hedges: The Spirea's uniform growth habit makes it suitable for low hedging. Its dense growth provides privacy, while its attractive foliage and flowers add a decorative touch.
- Containers: Due to their manageable size, these plants are also suitable for container gardening. This allows for mobility, so they can be moved to different locations based on sun exposure or design preferences.
- Xeriscaping: Given its drought tolerance, the Superstar™ Spirea is an excellent choice for xeriscaping or low-water gardening, an increasingly popular practice in areas prone to water scarcity.
- Wildlife Garden: The flowers of Superstar™ Spirea can attract butterflies and other pollinators, making it a good choice for a wildlife garden or pollinator-friendly landscape.
- Mixed Beds: Lastly, it can also be incorporated into mixed shrub or perennial beds to add structure and seasonal interest, thanks to its vibrant spring and summer flowers and its fiery fall foliage.
Overall, the Superstar™ Spirea's vibrant color, hardiness, and manageable size make it a versatile addition to a wide variety of landscaping styles and applications.
Superstar™ Spirea is quite hardy and low-maintenance, but like any plant, it does best with a certain level of care. Here's how to plant and care for your Spirea:
- Choosing the Site: Pick a site that gets full sun to part shade. While Spirea can tolerate some shade, it blooms best with at least six hours of direct sunlight each day. It can adapt to a variety of soil types but prefers a well-draining soil.
- Preparing the Site: Dig a hole that's twice as wide and the same depth as the root ball of your Spirea. Loosen the soil around the hole to make it easier for the roots to spread out.
- Planting: Place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the ground. Backfill with the excavated soil, gently firming it around the base of the plant. Water thoroughly after planting.
- Watering: Water your Spirea regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, it's quite drought-tolerant and will only need supplemental watering during extended dry periods.
- Fertilizing: While not a requirement, you can apply a balanced slow-release fertilizer in early spring before new growth begins to promote healthy foliage and abundant blooming.
- Pruning: Pruning helps maintain the plant's shape and encourages more vigorous blooming. The best time to prune is in late winter or early spring before new growth starts. Remove old, damaged, or crossing branches at this time as well. After the plant finishes blooming, you can lightly prune again to stimulate a second wave of flowers in the summer.
- Pest and Disease Management: Superstar™ Spirea is generally resistant to pests and diseases. Monitor the plant for signs of common issues such as powdery mildew or leaf spot, and treat as necessary.
- Mulching: Mulch around the base of the plant to conserve soil moisture, suppress weeds, and protect the plant's roots in extreme temperatures. Just ensure the mulch doesn't directly touch the plant stem to avoid potential rot issues.
By following these planting and care instructions, you can help ensure that your Superstar™ Spirea thrives, providing beautiful blooms and lush foliage for years to come.
- Height: 2-3'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Heat Zone: 8
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Rounded
- Dark Pink
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.