AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower (Heptacodium miconioides) is a unique and stunning deciduous shrub native to the Tianshan Mountains of China. Named for its clusters of seven small, fragrant flowers, this plant has gained popularity in gardens across the world due to its ornamental and ecological value. The Tianshan® cultivar offers a compact, upright growth habit and is well-suited for small gardens or urban settings.
The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower boasts attractive peeling bark that adds visual interest even during the winter months when its leaves have fallen. The exfoliating bark reveals a striking patchwork of colors, ranging from cinnamon-brown to gray and white. This feature, coupled with its unique branching structure, provides an eye-catching focal point in any landscape.
During the late summer and early fall, the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower comes alive with clusters of fragrant, tubular white flowers. The blooms are adored by pollinators, such as bees and butterflies, and are followed by a showy display of red or purple calyxes that persist well into autumn. These vibrant calyxes add a splash of color to the garden as the foliage turns a warm yellow, providing multi-season interest.
In addition to its beauty, the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower is a low-maintenance and hardy plant, suitable for USDA zones 5 to 9. It grows best in well-draining soil and can tolerate various conditions, including full sun to partial shade. This adaptability makes it an excellent choice for a wide range of garden settings, from urban spaces to woodland gardens.
The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower offers more than just an attractive appearance; it also provides ecological benefits by attracting and supporting a diverse range of pollinators. This versatile and eye-catching shrub is an excellent addition to any garden, providing year-round interest and playing an essential role in supporting local ecosystems.
The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower (Heptacodium miconioides) is a versatile plant with numerous landscaping uses that can enhance a variety of garden settings. Its unique features, such as fragrant blooms, attractive bark, and multi-season interest, make it a valuable addition to any landscape design. Some of the primary landscaping uses for the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower include:
- Specimen Plant: Due to its unique features and year-round interest, the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower makes an excellent specimen plant. Its striking bark, fragrant blooms, and vibrant autumn calyxes create a focal point in any garden, drawing attention and admiration from passersby.
- Mixed Border: Incorporate the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower into a mixed border or shrubbery, where it can provide structure and texture alongside other plants. Its fragrant flowers, attractive bark, and autumn color contrast beautifully with evergreens, ornamental grasses, and perennials, adding depth and variety to the landscape.
- Wildlife Garden: The fragrant flowers of the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower attract a variety of pollinators, such as bees and butterflies. Planting this shrub in a wildlife garden will not only add visual interest but also support local biodiversity by providing food and habitat for beneficial insects.
- Urban Landscaping: The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower's compact and upright growth habit makes it well-suited for small gardens or urban spaces. Use it in streetscapes, public parks, or as a screening plant in residential landscapes to create privacy or block unsightly views.
- Woodland Garden: With its ability to tolerate partial shade, the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower can be successfully integrated into a woodland garden, where it can provide a bright pop of color and interesting texture amid the dappled light beneath tree canopies.
- Foundation Planting: Plant the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower near the foundation of a building to create visual interest and soften architectural lines. Its unique features will draw attention away from the building's base and add curb appeal to the property.
- Container Planting: Though typically grown in the ground, the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower can also be grown in large containers, making it a great option for patios, balconies, or rooftop gardens. Ensure that the container has adequate drainage and choose a well-draining soil mix to promote healthy growth.
Planting and caring for the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower (Heptacodium miconioides) is relatively straightforward, making it an excellent choice for gardeners of all experience levels. To ensure the health and success of this unique and stunning plant, follow the guidelines below:
- Site Selection: Choose a location that offers well-draining soil and receives full sun to partial shade. The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower is adaptable to various light conditions but will produce more abundant blooms in sunnier locations. Make sure the area allows for the plant's mature size, which can reach 10-15 feet tall and 8-10 feet wide.
- Soil Preparation: The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower prefers well-draining soil with a slightly acidic to neutral pH (6.0-7.0). Amend the soil with organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve its structure and fertility. This will encourage healthy root development and overall plant growth.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and as deep as the root ball. Gently loosen the roots and place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill in the hole with the amended soil, firming it gently around the base of the plant to remove air pockets. Water thoroughly to settle the soil and establish good root-to-soil contact.
- Watering: The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower requires regular watering, particularly during its first few years as it establishes its root system. Water deeply once a week, adjusting the frequency depending on weather conditions and soil type. Avoid overwatering, as this can lead to root rot and other health issues.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant, keeping it a few inches away from the trunk. Mulch helps to conserve soil moisture, maintain a consistent soil temperature, and suppress weed growth.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer in early spring, following the manufacturer's instructions for rate and application method. Avoid over-fertilizing, as this can cause excessive growth and reduce the plant's overall health.
- Pruning: Prune the Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches, as well as any that are crossing or rubbing against one another. Maintain the plant's natural, upright form by trimming back overly vigorous or wayward branches.
- Pest and Disease Control: The Tianshan® Seven-Son Flower is relatively pest and disease-resistant. However, keep an eye out for common issues, such as aphids or leaf spots, and address any problems promptly to maintain the plant's health.
- Height: 8-12'
- Width: 5-7'
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Shape: Upright arching
- Flower Color: White
- Foliage: Bright Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.