AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The White Album® Wintercreeper, a type of Euonymus fortunei, is an evergreen shrub that brings a unique blend of aesthetics and resilience to gardens and landscapes. Exhibiting a short stature, it typically reaches a height of 18 to 24 inches and spreads out equally between 18 to 24 inches, providing a mounded appearance. Its foliage is a striking combination of green and white, with the variegated leaves exhibiting a prominent cream-colored border. Though it doesn't primarily bloom for its flowers, when it does, they are of a subtle green hue, blending seamlessly with its variegated foliage.
This shrub thrives under conditions of part sun to full sun, making it versatile in terms of placement within a garden. Remarkably easy to maintain, the White Album® has a water requirement that's average and can be grown as a ground cover or integrated into mass plantings for a lush effect. Notably, the shrub is adaptable to various pH levels and can tolerate most soil types, barring extremely wet ones. Its robust nature allows it to withstand rigorous pruning, making it ideal for gardeners who prefer manicured green spaces.
The White Album® Wintercreeper offers a multitude of landscaping uses, thanks to its striking variegated foliage and adaptable growing requirements:
- Groundcover: With its consistent growth habit and spread, the White Album® Wintercreeper can be effectively used as a groundcover, providing a vibrant carpet of green and white in gardens, especially in shady areas.
- Mass Plantings: This shrub is an excellent choice for mass plantings, where its uniform appearance and variegated leaves can create a lush, cohesive visual effect.
- Border Planting: The cream-colored perimeter of its leaves makes it a perfect choice for border plantings, serving as a natural divider between different garden sections or as an edge along pathways.
- Focal Point: Its distinct variegation can serve as a focal point in a garden or landscape design, drawing attention and adding visual interest.
- Containers: Due to its manageable size and mounded growth habit, the White Album® Wintercreeper can be a stellar choice for container gardens, either as a standalone plant or combined with other complementary species.
- Brightening Shady Areas: The shrub's bright, variegated leaves are ideal for adding a splash of color to dim or shady spots, making these areas pop and appear more lively.
- Wildlife Garden: While it's primarily grown for foliage, its subtle green flowers can attract beneficial insects, making it a suitable addition to wildlife-friendly gardens.
When considering its landscaping uses, it's also crucial to note its adaptability. The White Album® Wintercreeper is tolerant of various soil conditions (except extremely wet ones) and can handle both part sun and full sun, making it a versatile addition to diverse garden designs and landscape themes.
- Site Selection: Choose a site that gets part sun to full sun. While the plant is adaptable, it performs best in these conditions.
- Soil Preparation: The shrub is tolerant of a wide range of soil types. However, ensure that the soil is well-draining. Extremely wet conditions can be detrimental.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole twice as wide as the plant's root ball and just as deep. Position the plant such that the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface.
- Backfilling: Refill the hole with soil, gently pressing down to remove air pockets.
- Watering: Water thoroughly after planting to settle the soil.
- Watering: Maintain an average watering routine. Ensure the soil remains moist but not waterlogged. Overwatering can lead to root rot.
- Pruning: The White Album® Wintercreeper withstands heavy pruning. It's best to prune in early spring to shape the plant and promote denser growth. If you notice any reversions to the original green form, prune these out to maintain the variegated appearance.
- Fertilizing: If faster growth is desired, apply a granular fertilizer formulated for trees and shrubs in early spring.
- Leaf Spot Resistance: This variety boasts superior leaf spot resistance, but always be on the lookout for any signs of disease and treat accordingly.
- Maintenance: Tolerant of most soils, it's also pH adaptable. While it's generally low-maintenance, always keep an eye out for any potential pest infestations or diseases and address them promptly.
- Zone Restrictions: It's vital to note that White Album® Wintercreeper is restricted and cannot be shipped to certain states, including IN, MD, and NY. Always ensure you're compliant with local guidelines when planting.
- Watering Needs: White Album® Wintercreeper requires average watering. While it can tolerate most soil conditions, it's essential to avoid overly wet environments.
- Botanical Pronunciation: Ew-ON-i-mus for-TU-nee-eye
- Plant Type: ShrubDeciduous/Evergreen: Evergreen
- Growth Rate: ConsistentAverage
- Landscape Size: This shrub usually reaches a height of 18 to 24 inches with a similar spread of 18 to 24 inches.
- Dramatic Foliage: Yes, its variegated foliage, characterized by a cream-colored border around large green leaves, offers a clean, crisp aesthetic appeal year-round.
- Foliage Color: Green and White (Variegated)
- Blooms: While primarily grown for its foliage, White Album® Wintercreeper occasionally produces subtle green flowers.
- Flower Color: Green
- Flower Attributes: Its flowers, though not its main attraction, seamlessly blend with its bright variegated foliage, enhancing its overall visual appeal.
- Garden Style: This evergreen shrub is adaptable and can be seamlessly integrated into various garden styles, ranging from modern landscapes to traditional garden beds.
- Design Ideas: White Album® Wintercreeper is perfect for brightening up shady areas of your garden. Its striking variegation can serve as a focal point or be used in mass plantings and as groundcover, offering a carpet of vibrant foliage.
- Companion Plants: Pair White Album® Wintercreeper with plants that complement its variegated foliage. Plants like hostas, ferns, and heucheras can create delightful contrasts and harmonies in shade or part-shade gardens. Its green and white leaves also contrast beautifully with plants bearing deep purple or red foliage.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.