For xeriscape projects, the Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) is an excellent choice for your yard. This low-maintenance, drought-tolerant shrub has a long blooming period. Throughout the summer, you will be treated to small lavender flowers. When you need a durable shrub for your landscape, you cannot go wrong with this beautiful Russian sage.
Russian Sage Attributes
- Watering Needs: Once established, water occasionally; more in extreme heat or containers. Botanical Pronunciation: pe-ROF-ski-a a-tri-pli-si-FO-li-a Plant type: Perennial Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous Growth rate: Moderate Average landscape size: Moderate growing; reaches 3 to 4 ft. tall and wide.
- Special features: Easy Care, Fast Growing, Improved Pest and Disease Resistance, Waterwise
- Dramatic Foliage: Easy Care
- Foliage color: Gray-green
- Blooms: Summer Flower color: Purple
- Flower attributes: Flowers for Cutting, Showy Flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Mediterranean, Rustic, Xeric
- Design Ideas: This lovely airy plant has the rangy character of Western sagebrush. Use it in dry landscapes with other desert plants or in gardens filled with natives. Very nice background in the cottage garden. A valuable plant for the Santa Fe style or even as a Mediterranean plant for that Tuscan garden of your dreams. Plant as singles, in clusters to intensify its presence, or in a linear mass for knot gardens or small divider hedges.
- Companion Plants: Coneflower (Echinacea); Butterfly Bush (Buddleja); Milkweed (Asclepias); Bee Balm (Monarda); Aster (Aster)