Sapphire Blue Oat Grass
The Sapphire Blue oat grass (Helictotrichon sempervirens) adds a striking steel blue color to your space. This impressive clump-forming perennial features blue foliage and tan flower spikes. Unlike other grasses, the cool blue tones remain throughout the growing season. If you want a real stunner for your next project, make sure to select the Sapphire Blue oat grass.
Sapphire Blue Oat Grass Attributes
- Watering Needs: Water regularly – weekly, or more often in extreme heat.
- Botanical Pronunciation: hel-ik-toh-TREE-kon sem-per-VY-renz
- Deciduous/evergreen: Semi-evergreen
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Moderate growing; reaches 2 to 3 ft. tall and wide.
- Special features: Clump Forming, Dramatic Foliage Color, Easy Care, Extreme Cold Hardiness, Improved Pest and Disease Resistance, Waterwise
- Dramatic Foliage: Color, Easy Care
- Foliage color: Blue-green
- Blooms: Summer
- Flower color: Brown
- Garden style: Contemporary, Mediterranean, Rustic
- Design Ideas: Blue Oat Grass is at home in desert gardens as well as in the traditional perennial border. Plant beside landscape boulders, in rock gardens or at the edges of natural pools. Particularly beautiful planted in masses and paired with blue-gray Mediterranean plants.
- Companion Plants: Euphorbia seguieriana subsp, Thymus serpyllum (Creeping Thyme), Nepeta ‘Six Hills Giant’ (Catmint), Sedum ‘Herbstfreude’ (‘Autumn Joy’), Nepeta racemosa ‘Walker’s Low’ (Catmint), Lavandula angustifolia ‘Munstead’ (Lavender)
Sapphire Blue Oat Grass Landscaping Uses
These grasses are excellent selections for mass plantings. If you want a denser planting in your landscape, the Sapphire Blue oat grass needs to be planted 2 feet apart from the center of each clump. With its lush foliage, this ornamental grass even makes a great choice as a loose border around certain parts of your garden.
You should not underestimate the Sapphire Blue’s importance as an accent piece. The fine texture is a great element to add to a perennial or rock garden. With its airy branches, this colorful oat grass gives your space some movement, style, and structure. If you have larger grasses in your landscape, make sure to add this species to those spaces. The Sapphire Blue perfectly combines with the other grasses for a stunning visual impact in your yard.
Sapphire Blue Oat Grass Planting and Care
The Sapphire Blue oat grass is a hardy plant, but it should only be grown in areas with full sun. The more sun that you can give this plant, the better results you will have for your yard. The Sapphire Blue oat grass prefers fertile soils, and it loves those alkaline soils. However, it will tolerate those less fertile spots, including clay and sandy soils. In any case, you want to place this oat grass in a well-draining location. Since it can handle environmental salt, the Sapphire Blue is an ideal choice for city landscapes. For the best results, you can cut down this variety in the late winter before the growing season. When spring arrives, you will notice new growth sprouting from the ground.
Add the Beauty of the Sapphire Blue Oat Grass
If you are ready to make this ornamental grass a part of your next landscaping project, call the professionals at Arbor Valley Nursery. We have a large selection of shrubs, trees, plants, and grasses. Our team can help you find the perfect specimen for your business or clients. We specialize in the landscaping needs of garden centers, commercial landscapers, and nurseries. Our company is here to answer all your questions about this beautiful ornamental grass. If you are ready to purchase the Sapphire Blue oat grass for your inventory, please take a few minutes to fill out the contact form.