Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry
Amelanchier x grandiflora
Are you looking to add a real American tree to your landscape? It might be time to choose the Autumn Brilliance serviceberry (Amelanchier x grandiflora ‘Autumn Brilliance’). This tree is steeped in history. In fact, George Washington added this species to his estate at Mount Vernon. This gorgeous native tree provides a spectacular display throughout all the seasons. The Autumn Brilliance serviceberry is an excellent choice for those who want to add a native tree.
Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry Attributes
- Watering Needs: Moderate
- Botanical Pronunciation: am-uh-LAN-kee-er gran-dih-FLOR-uh
- Plant type: Shrub
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Fast
- Average landscape size: Fast growing; reaches 20 to 25 ft. tall, 4 ft.
- Special features: Bird Friendly, Fall Color, Fast Growing, Improved Disease Resistance, North American Native Selection, Tolerates Road Salt, Tolerates Urban Pollution
- Dramatic Foliage: Color, Easy Care
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Early spring
- Flower color: White
- Flower attributes: Fragrant, Showy Flowers
- Garden style: Cottage
- Design Ideas: Vital to wildlife and bird gardens that feed upon its delicious fruit. Makes a good background foliage plants for manicured beds and borders.
- Companion Plants: Vine Maple (Acer circinatum); Oakleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia); Rhododendron (Rhododendron); Dogwood (Cornus); Wisteria (Wisteria)
Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry Landscape Uses
The Autumn Brilliance serviceberry is a perfect highlight for those courtyards. By adding some lights at the base of the tree, you will have the ideal outdoor display. A little light can give a dramatic flair to those beautiful lush canopies. In the winter, the bare branches catch the falling flakes of snow for an added boost to your holiday decor.
In a grouping, the Autumn Brilliance serviceberries really stand out in your yard. You can even plant these trees near a water feature or pond. For more definition in a rustic woodland, add these particular trees throughout the open space. If you want to have a natural landscape, make sure to vary the spacing and plant them in a triangular pattern.
While you might think that the Autumn Brilliance is a delicate tree, it is a tough variety of serviceberry. With its hardy nature, it is ideal as a street tree. If you need a backdrop for smaller perennials, you want to add the Autumn Brilliance. Since the berries ripe at the same time as those cherry trees, plant these trees together for a backyard orchard. You can harvest both varieties or allow them to be picked over by the local wildlife.
Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry Care
You can find these trees in almost every state in the country. The Autumn Brilliance serviceberry does need well-draining soil. A medium amount of water will keep your tree healthy throughout the seasons. When planting the serviceberry in the ground, you should add a handful of compost. Once the flowers have finished blooming, you can prune the tree. It is best to prune in the late winter or early spring before any new leaves appear on the tree.
Bring Home the Charming Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry
Amelanchier x grandiflora
Arbor Valley Nursery is ready to assist with all your landscaping needs. We can help you get the Autumn Brilliance serviceberry for your business or clients. If you want to find out more information about these trees, please fill out the contact form.